"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Monday, January 09, 2006

Jedis are cool

I read a bit of 1st and 2nd Kings the other day. I really enjoy reading that stuff. It reminds me of Star Wars kind of. all sorts of exciting Wars and battles... I really like reading the stories about Elijah and Elisha, they are kind of like the bible's very own Jedis, only the stuff they did really happened and is way more cool then pulling an x-wing fighter out of the swamp in the Dagobah System with your mind. I think my favorite story is found in 2 Kings 6.

2 Kings 6
The Floating Ax Head

1One day the group of prophets came to Elisha and told him, "As you can see, this place where we meet with you is too small. 2Let's go down to the Jordan River, where there are plenty of logs. There we can build a new place for us to meet."
"All right," he told them, "go ahead."

3"Please come with us," someone suggested.

"I will," he said.

4When they arrived at the Jordan, they began cutting down trees. 5But as one of them was chopping, his ax head fell into the river. "Ah, my lord!" he cried. "It was a borrowed ax!"

6"Where did it fall?" the man of God asked. When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it into the water. Then the ax head rose to the surface and floated. 7"Grab it," Elisha said to him. And the man reached out and grabbed it.



I laughed when I first read this story. I can just see the guys face when the ax head fly's into the murky waters of the Jordan river.

"Oh Crap, Steve is going to kill me, that was his brand new ax head..."

Thats what would probably be going through my mind if it was me, well, unless the guys name wasn't Steve...

But then God does his miracle through his Servant Elisha, and you have a floating ax head.

I like this story because its kind of one of those "Dang, I lost my shoe. God, please help me find my shoe. Oh, there it is" kind of stories. It shows that God wants us to step up in trust, not only in the big things, the things that really need trust, but the little as well. It shows how God cares about even the littlest details of our lives. Plus, I think floating ax heads are darn funny.

No comments: