"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Sunday, April 10, 2011

This world has nothing for me

This week I have at least one thing in common with dirty dish water.  We're both drained (neither smell nor look that great either, but I did say at least one thing in common).  I am drained physically, emotionally, and spiritually--exhausted, frustrated, distracted, stressed, disappointed.  It is amazing how the enemy, and I mean the real Enemy, can quickly derail us and pull our focus from the things that matter.  My created purpose far exceeds my temporary disappointments and distractions, yet these things can blindside me and pull me off track.  So how does one deal with the pains that come with living the human life?  I have no magical platitudes that make pain dissolve away; no special incantations to erase the gnawing scars of depression that some of us face.  The truth is, life is a bummer sometimes.  With the wisdom of a bumper sticker--though tamed down to a G rating--crap happens.  The only thing I can say is that when this world hurts, I must remember I am not created for this world.  I find comfort in directing my focus back to the truest satisfaction. This doesn't make my hurt vanish, but it offers perspective when I see my pain next to the grandness of God.  The infinite Creator towers over my biggest hurts.  God is always faithful.  If He weren't, He couldn't be God--He would be acting against His very character.  He knows pain, and He is with me in mine.

We sang a song called Rescue in church today.  God knew I needed it before I did.  God has brought this song to me at key moments in my spiritual journey; moments of pain and loneliness, and it helps me gain perspective once again.  I hope it encourages you like it does me.


So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. 1 Corinthians 15:58

1 comment:

TheCJConger said...

This was encouraging to hear.