"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Thursday, April 14, 2005

see the children

so i got the youth pastor job. I am pretty pumped about the whole thing slash scared, but scared in a good way...not a bad. yesterday i watched a documentary made by three college guys. Its called Invisible Children. If you ever get the chance, please watch this film. In my opinion, every middle-upper class American christian should have the responsibility of seeing this film. Wow, how ignorant i was. this film is about the children in Sudan and Uganda and how the civil war in Sudan is brutally affecting them. Children are being abducted and forced to work in the army. children 14 and under are forced to take guns and brainwashed to kill people. one child said that he would get headaches if he didn't see blood. It was so depressing and sad. war is all they know. many are orphans because AIDs has attacked the land as well. none, it seems, live with parents because they either run from home to avoid being abducted into the army or they are are taken by the army. many have no clothes, no food, no home. the movie showed drawings that the children did. every drawing had death, blood, severed limbs, sadness. this is all these children know. It ripped my heart out. the screen became blury as tears filled my eyes. I went on a walk after the movie. the sun was shining. houses and cars all around. christian friends taking breaks from studies to throw the football or play in the mud. I forget how greatly i am blessed. how selfish am I! I spend all the time thinking of myself when that is not my right. I hope that through being a youth pastor, I can trully demonstrate selflessness. I hope those images never leave my mind. Its my prayer that i become sensitized to the world and that i learn to give food to the hungry, clothes to the needy, drink to the thirsty, that i visit those in prison, and that i bring love to all

No comments: