"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Modern day Pharisee

Hey hurting world on the verge of death.

I'd look at you, but my own life is just a mess.

I cry for the scrape on my finger,

while you lie with your broken limbs.

I ask God to save me from my pain,

While I sit here in my sins.

There is no time to help you,

I got to save myself.

I contently dream of heaven,

and forget that you'll go to hell.

It'd be crazy to leave my comfort,

politically incorrect.

So I won't tell you about my savior,

I'll let you go to heck.

After all, I'm a christian,

this is about me and Christ.

Jesus already saved me, why should I have to pay a price?

I'll read my self-help books, read my bible, and I'll pray,

but I won't tell you about my savior, the one, the truth the Way.

Wouldn't want to offend you,

since you are comfortably lost.

No, I'll let you wonder, and then pay the greatest cost.

My mind is so cluttered

with girls, my job, and school,

so why, oh hurting world,

would I take time to think of you?



Content as a white washed tomb,
with beauty on the outside,
and dead and dark within,
Dear Jesus, please save me!
I don't want to live in this sin.
Give me a heart for the hurting,
A passion for the lost.
Let me surrender my whole self,
whatever be the cost.
Let my life be an open book,
Oh author of my soul.
I want to let others read Your story,
wherever you send, I'll go.

2 comments:

Alyssa Dawn said...

Big bro, I love your way with words. It sounds like it's coming from my own heart. Maybe I'm impressed because I've never been good at poetry. I can say a lot in my writing, but you have this special gift of making your thoughts come alive so everyone can relate. I think i want to print this one out and hang it in my locker, because it's a reminder I need all the time, and I think most other Christians I know need it too.
Thanks,
Lyss

P.S. Someday you should try to put some of your poems to music...or maybe I'll try.

steph said...

tyler,
it is so easy to think that life is a story about ourselves.

its strange that we were just talking about stuff like this the other day, and you happened to have written about it too. Thanks for the further insight.

Here, check it out sometime:
www.thecircleinthegrey.blogspot.com