"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

makes ears happy

their are few things that carry the power of music. it moves people like few things can. at times certain songs cling as a back drop to episodes of our life, or help us through difficult times. These are some of the songs that have stories in my life. They are the songs that have convicted me, challenged me, and have shaped me and my faith,...as well as some just plain fun songs that make me giggle and smile.

Lead the Way- Further seems forever
This is my favorite song of all time. It has come to comfort me, and carry me along in some very difficult times. "You know me better then I do, it would be best if you lead the way" Powerful, simple lyrics that reveal the surrendered heart of a Christian. Hide Nothing is my favorite Furtherseemsforever project. One of the most God glorifying projects I have heard to date.

Islands gone bad- Shapes and Sizes
These guys are a new band to asthmatickitty records, the label owned by Sufjan Stevens and his step dad. I love this song. Beautiful, unique Indy vibe, and a story that progresses from a family stranded on an island picking fruit off of trees to children eating their parents. Good song, good song.

Casimir Pulaski Day- Sufjan Stevens
Wow. Sufjan is amazing. I love this song, because the lyrics are sad, yet the music is happy, and combined they seem to paint a picture of hope. The song deals with suffering and Gods place in it. A tear jerker.

When did you fall- Chris Rice
This song is one of my new favorites. Its a love song about a guy looking back over his relationship with his significant other trying to place the moment she fell in love with him. www.myspace.com/chrisrice

Transcontinental- Pedro the Lion
David Bazen, the main mind behind amazing indy act, Pedro the lion, is known for his blunt, straight to the point, and often controversial music. His content and language has thrown some Christians for a loop as he has played major Christian music festival, Conerstone, and though I can't agree with his content and language choice all the time, there are a couple songs that have really struck home and I think are good to hear. His voice, and soft, relaxing music are not soon forgotten, nor his story telling abilities. Transcontinental is a story in which the narrator gets ran over by a train, and tells us about the experience. Yeah, no theological message in this one, just a ridiculously fun song. To bad their is so much dirt with the gold... www.purevolume.com/pedrothelion

On and On- Kevin Max
Although this former DC talk member seems to be forgotten quicker then Tait or Toby, I would say Max is my favorite of the three. His music is by far the most original. On and On is an amazing love song "You are an island, I am the raging of the sea, You are a Fortress, and I am abandoned, you are the valley, you are the bird that flies so high, you are a temple, and I am a beggar" Lyrically Max is amazing, and with a voice like that, you have to wonder why we haven't heard more of him

Priceless (For Eleanor)- Copeland
"I need you like the dragonfly's wings need the wind, like the orphan needs home once again, like heaven needs more to come in. I need you like you've always been." this is a beautiful song. All of Copeland's music is what I would deem "pretty" music. Its like candy for your ears. And not that cheap candy they throw at you during parades. This is the delicious candy you find in a candy shop, the kind that you have to close your eyes and smile as it rests on your tongue. Imagine your aunts special fudge at Christmas. Copeland is fudge....really good fudge.

Bold Son- Aaron Espe
For me, this song completes what furtherseemsforever's lead the way began. Both these songs are incredibly important to me. Though it takes great surrender to allow Christ to lead the way in our lives, it takes trust to boldly follow him. "So don't be timid, don't be cold, be bold son, be bold son." Aaron Espe is from my home town, and a great guy. Perhaps the fact that I know the guy contributes to my love of his music, but you can be the judge...(he's going places, just wait, I'm telling you...) www.myspace.com/aaronespe

Fly- Jars of Clay
"Be Still let your hands melt into mine. The part of me that breathes when you breath is losing time. I can't find the words to say I'll never say goodbye. I'll fly with you through the night so you know I'm not letting go. I'm not letting go. My tears like rain fill up the sky. Oh my love, I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go." I view this song as God's love song to me. He gave this to me over the radio on a night I desperately needed it. This song reaches deep into my heart, and I thank God for such a gift.

This World- Cademon's Call
"This world has nothing for me and this world has everything. All that I could want and nothing that I need." Cademon's call and Derek Webb both are artists I greatly respect. They speak messages that Christians desperately need to hear.

other amazing songs

Those words are not enough- Relient K

What is Love- Pax217

I'm not alright- Sanctus Real

Learning to Breathe- Switchfoot

We're very greatly loved- Half-handed cloud

Did i step on your trumpet?- Danielson

Autobahn- Anberlin

Jesus' Blood- Delerious?

Wait for me- Rebecca St. James

At the Zoo- Simon and Garfunkel

No comments: