"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Sunday, March 15, 2009

God is wooing me

I am reading an incredible book right now called Incarnation, by Thomas F. Torrance. I'm not super far yet (though I am supposed to turn in a review on it by tomorrow, sigh...shame on me), but it has already blessed me deeply. In my life, I see how much I am Israel; stubborn and rebellious, running away as God pursues. I have not been spending much intentional time with God for quite some time, and there is very little in my life to suggest that Christ is my first love. Yet, he persists. God is wooing my heart and I am amazed. This book is giving me a new and clearer understanding about why God has acted out his plan the way he has; a deeper understanding of the Incarnate Christ, and of the beauty of a love that is beyond comprehension. As I have been reading, there are those moments when all I can say is, WOW!

It's a bit like when a guy is in love, and she does that beautiful and unique thing that is distinctly her, and he thinks, "My goodness, how in the world am I so lucky as to be with this person?"

Right now, I look at my savior and creator and say, "Jesus, how is it that your love is so big and so merciful that you call me your bride?"


I am sure I'll put up a few quotes, or share a few ideas from this book soon (...soonish).

2 comments:

lee said...

Steinhundt: it's the Leedog here. Dude, I like this... "In my life, I see how much I am Israel; stubborn and rebellious, running away as God pursues. I have not been spending much intentional time with God for quite some time, and there is very little in my life to suggest that Christ is my first love. Yet, he persists."

My mentor and I have been reading through the Word this year and it's been changing me. I, too, have found myself to be as Israel; I specifically think of Jacob in this regard. Liar, fool, mess up that guy was. Yet look at how God loved and used him.

Regarding intentional time with the Lord, this whole 'read through the Word' thing is teaching me about intentional devo time and discipline. I still don't have it down, but dude it's teaching me.

And I really appreciate how you worded this... "there is very little in my life to suggest that Christ is my first love." It's something I know I've thought about, and at youth we've chewed on it. If I'm spending all the bucks I've been entrusted with on John Cash discs and baseball equipment, I obviously value Cash and ball. If I spend much time reading, I obviously value books. But though my lips say I value Christ, do my energies, actions, funds?? Solid thoughts bro. Love your heart after the Lord.

Peace S-dog.
Lee

Alyssa Dawn said...

Oh, I appreciate your posts, Tyler. It gives me more specifics to pray about (which actually reminds me to pray--because I'm not so good at that) and I always find that I can relate to what you're saying. This week at Bible study we talked about God's love for us, and I realized that I have not been feeling the weight, the wonder, or the joy of it for a long time. I've just been walking through life presuming that God's love is this automatic thing and I've learned about his love so many times, why think about it? Oh, how wrong! So the past few days I've been seeking to know his love more and really feel it and be captured by the joy of it. It's so marvelous!

Today in theology class one of my friends said that she's been realizing over the past few months that God is more fun than everything else. Praying and praising and reading scripture bring greater pleasure than anything else she could be doing. I pray that you and I both will strive for that kind of lifestyle, seeking a deeper love relationship with our Savior and Bridegroom.