"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." 1 Peter 3:15

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Its only cute when babies do it

Have you ever been having a lovely conversation filled with keen insights, good humor, jovial laughter, and then, out of the blue you say, "Hey, I wonder how much of my foot I can fit in my mouth?"  Today I put my foot in my mouth.  My whole foot.  I have a size eleven mouth.  There is a reason saying something stupid and hurtful is called "foot in mouth"--it leaves a nasty taste like sweaty gym sock.  I felt awful.  I've offered my apology, and through grace have been forgiven.  Now its not that I haven't munched my toes ever before (anyone who knows me well also knows I'm capable of saying stupid things) but I hope I've learned my lesson from this experience.  First, I will not be so quick to mutter idiot under my breath the next time someone else sucks their gym sock.  Second, I will be more careful with the reigns of my own tongue--such a wild beast to tame.  Lastly, when I do fail (which inevitably I will) I'll be quick to own up to my mistake and make things right by apologizing.

To any infant readers out there, suck your toes now.  It's not as cute when you're an adult.

No comments: